Adduser adding to a different master.passwd

I am trying to create a secure system, and in doing so, have removed
the passwd function and interactive shell use from it.  (it's a
chrooted environment, but that is not my only security, but another
obstacle for the potential cracker to get past)  But I need to be able
to add users to it.  I found how to get master.passwd to re-populate in
the correct dir with pwd_mkdb, but I don't know how to get adduser to
use that new directory.  I would like to avoid having adduser and a
real shell in the chrooted environment,  and I didn't see how to get
adduser to use a different directory for the master.passwd.  Is it time
to break out the source code and learn C while I do this?

=====
Peter Hessler
<yodadoa_(_at_)_yahoo_(_dot_)_com>
http://im.yahoo.com