Re: redundant firewall with openbsd

On 29/08/2001, Shriman Gurung <sg_(_at_)_dataconnection_(_dot_)_com> wrote To misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org:
> In a failover I switch the external ethernet wire to the backup (well, they
> are physically far apart, but you get the idea), untar my backup and reboot.
> 2 seconds to log in, 3 seconds to recable, under a second to untar, reboot
> and I'm in business in under 30 seconds.

Well, that's cold-standby and not really redundancy.

All posted "solutions" do not care about a /real/ failover, where not
only the routing/arp/.. is done, but also the existing state table is
synced to the "second" machine.

I had some talks on HAL about that, and we'll see, what happens. There
is still more important work on pf to be done, before such a thing will
happen (I guess so at least :>).

ciao
--
Philipp Buehler, aka fips | sysfive.com GmbH | BOfH | NUCH | <double-p>

#1: Break the clue barrier!
#2: Already had buzzword confuseritis ?

Visit your host, monkey.org