bsd.port.mk problems

I just performed a cvs update on 2.9 and now I can't make any of the ports. I get the following error:

"/usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk", line 1414: missing `in' in for
cipher value in ${PROBLEMS}
"/usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk", line 1414: Missing dependency operat
"/usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk", line 1418: Need an operator
Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

Somebody else reported the problem on the tech list. The recommended solution was to upgrade the make utility as described in the minifaq. I'm wondering about that since I do have a clean install of 2.9 and didn't see any patches to stable for it.

Should I checkout the stable source and build the make utility or is it a bug that will be fixed in several hours?

Reference to tech list:

Visit your host, monkey.org