Re: Big performance problem with OpenBSD and Apache (fwd)

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 11:28:44PM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> The default kernel is nearly 4 MB huge, the ones on my
> production machines, including IPv6 support ans Linux binary emulation, are
> about 1.6 MB. Without IPv6 and binary emulations 1.2 MB is a reachable value.

My production kernel also includes BSD/OS binary emulation @1.6MB. about 1MB
must be reachable without IPv6 and any binary emulation. It's quite clear
that you disable any unneeded driver, too.

> Also your httpd.conf should set MinSpareServers
> and especially MaxSpareServer to _much_ higher values. Your are forcing
> apache to kill clients and fork new ones with these small numbers all the
                 ^^^^^^^
	   This should read "... to kill CHILDS ..." of course.

> time.

> As a sidenote: it is a pity that the dc(4) driver in OpenBSD and above
> is still broken, at least with 21143s and more than one card. Nobody willing
> to help me with PR1859?

nobody? Do we want to ship a broken dc(4) with 3.0 again?

http://misc.bsws.de/obsdtuning/webserver.txt, including small corrections.

--
* Henning Brauer, hostmaster_(_at_)_bsws_(_dot_)_de, http://www.bsws.de *
* Roedingsmarkt 14, 20459 Hamburg, Germany               *