Re: Where are wd0s1, wd0s2, wd0s3?

On Mon Aug 06, 2001 at 01:21:48PM +0200, Saad Kadhi wrote:
> Hello,
> On 06 Aug 2001 21:45:32 +0530, Manas Garg wrote:
> >
> > I have 4 primary partitions on my IDE disk (on a Pentium III). First is
> > linux swap, second and third are / and /home of linux. On fourth, I have
> > installed
> > OpenBSD which divided 4th in multiple pieces. When I tried to mount these
> > linux partitions, I couldn't find those wd0s1, wd0s2 device files in /dev/
> > that I had seen and used in FreeBSD. All that I see here is wd0a, wd0b etc
> > (like NetBSD).
> >
> > On which device files should I mount my linux partitions. And if I have to
> > create them, what should be their major and minor numbers?
>
> tsk tsk tsk none of that :)). Sit, take a coffee and read this small
> piece of poetry:
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq9.html#9.4

I tried this poetry over a cup of coffee before posting (in fact, even before
subscribing to the list), but then realized that the poetry doesn't have the
verse I want :).

That faq explains how to run linux binaries but that's not the information I am
looking for (or I have mastered the art of skipping lines).

I'll explain it more. If I want to mount a partition, I need to say something
like "mount -t fstype device_file mount_point". Before I compile a kernel with
"options EXT2FS" and before I install /usr/local/emul/linux, I need to know
what is the device_file that corresponds to the partitions on which linux
resides. When I had tried FreeBSD, it neatly created wd0s1, wd0s2, wd0s3, and
wd0s4 and I recompiled kernel with EXT2FS support, installed it, rebooted
machine and mounted the linux partitions (i.e. wd0s2, wd0s3) by issuing the
command "mount -t ext2fs wd0s2 /linroot" and it worked. In OpenBSD, I don't see
all these device files, so, I don't know what to pass on to mount.

I played with disklabel also, but couldn't figure out what action of mine will
create device files in /dev/ that correspond to various primary partitions on
which OpenBSD doesn't reside.

	--manas