Re: SparcStation 5 as Server

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 09:19:11AM -0700, Chris Palmer wrote:

> Assuming the web sites are not database-driven, it should be fine. Your
> DSL line will max out before your machine does.

The sites will not be database driven.

> The disk is external, right? The SS5s, iirc, are not rated for more than
> a 5400 RPM drive. If you have the 7200RPM disk inside the machine, you
> could get heat problems. (I could be wrong about this, though; can
> anyone corroborate?)

The disk is not external. The machine is not actually here yet and I was
planning on replacing the internal 1GB disk when it gets here. Where
could I check to find out if it can support a 7200rpm disk?

This brings up another question I forgot to ask. I was looking at 4-port
SBUS ethernet cards. Is there any real advantage to hosting each domain
on its own IP? Right now I am running two websites through apache using
name based virtual domains. From the apache docs I gathered that this
does not work with HTTP/1.0 hosts. I have not even heard of any HTTP/1.0
applications. Isn't everything using HTTP/1.1 these days?

Also, is there any documentation that tells how to set up sendmail for
virtual domains on OpenBSD? I found a few things but nothing seems very
simple. Is there a resource I have overlooked?

Thanks for all your responses.

Bryan