Re: SparcStation 5 as Server

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 08:19:19AM -0700, Chris Palmer wrote:
> On 31 Jul  Bryan Carter Vyhmeister wrote:
> > I hope this is not the wrong list but I was wondering if any of you
> > have used a SparcStation 5/170 as a web server or email server or
> > something of that sort. Does it hold up pretty well? Any information
> > would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Without knowing just what your needs are, no one can give much of an
> answer.

I am in the process of getting a 384kbps upload and 768kbps download DSL
connection. I am planning on hosting my own websites (twelve domain
names but very little traffic on any of them right now) and email. I was
thinking about hosting all the web sites on one SS5, 170Mhz, 256MB of
RAM, and an SCA SCSI 4GB 7200rpm hard drive. For a 384kbps connection,
will the built-in 10Mbps ethernet be enough? I was thinking about
hosting the email on a second SS5 with the same setup. Would that be a
workable setup?

Bryan

Visit your host, monkey.org