Re: I am not... - time and date

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Andrey Smagin wrote:

> 'time make'
>
> Although I still prefer to use
>
> 'date > log1.txt; Do_Stuff >log2.txt; date>>log1.txt'

I've found the csh/tcsh (and others) time builtin to be vastly superior
for performance analysis than just a simple measure of
(system/user/real) seconds that this method, or a shell such as bash
(correct me if I'm wrong on that one), provides.

Keeping track of page faults and context switching details may be overkill
for some tasks, but it's usually much more illuminating than just keeping
track of (time A - time B).

--
Ken MacInnis - finger:kmacinni_(_at_)_umich_(_dot_)_edu - 42 16 40N 83 46 24W
  "When someone hands me a flyer, it's like saying,

Visit your host, monkey.org