From: owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org [mailto:owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org] On Behalf
Of Mikael Gunnarsson
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 5:50 AM
To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
Subject: SiS 900 NICs?

Hi!

I'm having some problem with two nameservers I'm trying to set up.. The
hardware in the machines is identical, a celeron on an ASUS CUSI-M
motherboard with built-in graphics, NIC and sound.. According to both
ASUS' web site and the motherboard manual the NIC controller is a SiS
630E chip. That specific chip is not listed in the hardware
compatibility list, but the 2.9 generic kernel identifies it as a SiS
900, and it works to a certain degree. The problem however is easily
seen below:

On the first machine:

sis0 at pci0 dev 1 function 1 "SIS 900 10/100BaseTX" rev 0x83: irq 10
address 01:26:02:50:80:00 ukphy0 at sis0 phy 0: Generic IEEE 802.3u
media interface

On the second machine, which booted up slightly afterwards:

sis0 at pci0 dev 1 function 1 "SIS 900 10/100BaseTX" rev 0x83: irq 10
address 01:26:02:50:80:00 ukphy0 at sis0 phy 0: Generic IEEE 802.3u
media interface
sis0: DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address
fe80:0001::02fe:e1ff:feba:d000: 0 NS, 1 NA
sis0: DAD complete for fe80:0001::02fe:e1ff:feba:d000 - duplicate found
sis0: manual intervention required

I don't think I need to tell you people that conflicting MAC adresses is
a Bad Thing. :)

Any solution to this, apart from disabling the built-in SiS NICs and
putting other NICs into the machines?

Thanks

Mikael