[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: shell question: Ambiguos output redirect
- To: "'Alexander Farber'" <alex_(_at_)_kawo2_(_dot_)_rwth-aachen_(_dot_)_de>
- Subject: RE: shell question: Ambiguos output redirect
- From: Shriman Gurung <sg_(_at_)_dataconnection_(_dot_)_com>
- Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 22:07:38 +0100
- Cc: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
Does user 'alex' have csh or similar as their shell? If so, that
might explain it. You've gone bourne shell -type redirection and
the csh gets confused.
One other point is that 'cmd 2>&1 > file' is not going to put stderr
and stdout in file. 'cmd > file 2>&1' is what you want. Or (back
with the csh) 'cmd >& file' to do the same thing.
This isn't really bsd-specific btw, so you can discover more on any
of the usual unixy sites like www.ugu.com.
From: Alexander Farber [mailto:alex_(_at_)_kawo2_(_dot_)_rwth-aachen_(_dot_)_de]
Sent: 09 July 2001 21:28
Subject: shell question: Ambiguos output redirect