Re: Server specs - comments appreciated

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 02:38:37PM -0400, Michael C. Ibarra wrote:
> Quoting Henning Brauer <lists-openbsd_(_at_)_bsws_(_dot_)_de>:
> > On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:24:09AM -0600, Chris Cameron wrote:
> > > I'm not sure what kind of case this guys machine is going to be going
> > > into, but don't AMD's tend to get rather toasty?
> > Nonsens. I have 1U machines w/ athlons of 1ghz, they are really really
> > really cold. this is more a housing question than a processor one.
> Actually, more of a cpu fan issue than anything else. We've recently
> moved towards a copper based heatsink vs the traditional aluminum base
> in order to sufficiently cool the larger cpus available. Do not try
> to save $10-15 by buying the aluminum ones, you'll pay more later ;-)

It's really OT now....

Don't save any money when buying the cases. Our 1U cases have a very well
designed cooling concept, i can run any CPU with a passive cooler inside.
I ususally use an active cooler anyway, though - just to paranoid. The CPU
doesn't get warmer than 40 degrees Celsius. The fastest/hottest I tried was
a 1GHz athlon.

--
* Henning Brauer, hostmaster_(_at_)_bsws_(_dot_)_de, http://www.bsws.de *
* Roedingsmarkt 14, 20459 Hamburg, Germany               *

Visit your host, monkey.org