Re: MySQL: make install does not install server?

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 02:21:39AM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> Well, yes, this would be slightly simpler for the user, but it is very
> much more awkward to make it work.
>
> I suspect things are going to stay the way they are. As far as users go,
> we're heavily slanted towards providing binary packages, which don't have
> the same problem at all.
>
> If you insist on using the source ports, you are going to run into similar
> fun stuff.
>
> In fact, the ability to do SUBPACKAGE=-client make install is fairly recent
> (2.9). Before that, you had to pkg_add yourself.
>
> The main good point about this is that you can write your own list of
> ports as
> 	SUBDIR =cat/port,-sub
> 	SUBDIR+=cat/port2,-sub,flavor
> include <bsd.port.subdir.mk>
>
> and build/install everything in one shot...
>
> The sorting scripts under infrastructure/ allow for even more fun.

I don't care which way this defaults but the split is a good thing
especially if you use OpenBSD on other platforms besides x86. The last time
I checked mysql-server is a pain in the neck to build on sparc because of
problems with thread support. If you split the port into a client and server
part then I can have a php and mysql enabled webserver on my sparc and
locate the actual database on another machine.

--
Chris Hilton                                 chilton-at-vindaloo-dot-com
                "All I was doing was trying to get home from work!"

Visit your host, monkey.org