Re: Upgrading 2.8->2.9 remotely (was: Re: Unstable OpenBSD box, lockups every 7 days or so)

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 03:29:56PM +0100, Martin Marconcini wrote:

> > The fastest method of upgrading:
> > cd /; ftp -o - ftp://wherever/path/base29.tgz | tar xzvpf -
> > (same for the other tgzs if needed)
> > upgrade /etc and /dev, possibly /var
> > copy a new kernel in place
> > reboot.
> >
> > overall time should be << 10 mins on a resonable fast machine.
>
> I do have the OpenBSD 2.9 CD (actually two servers running 2.8)
> Can I cp and untar them w/your method,

yes.

> then execute upgrade /etc /dev/
> var?

you cannot "execute upgrade /etc /dev /var". This must be done manually.
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade-minifaq.html

> cp bsd from the cd and reboot? Is that what you are saying?

yes.

> What happens to /usr, /src, /ports. I shall CVS's them and update via
> OpenBSD2_9?

yes. but if you have the sources on the machine ( a bad idea for a
production server IMHO...) make build is another possibility. But i'd remove
src and ports and compile on another non-production machine.

--
* Henning Brauer, hostmaster_(_at_)_bsws_(_dot_)_de, http://www.bsws.de *
* Roedingsmarkt 14, 20459 Hamburg, Germany               *

Visit your host, monkey.org