lpd, laserjet iip questions

I'm having a bit of trouble getting lpd to work with my laserjet iip.

On boot up I get lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378/4 irq 7.

My /etc/printcap is:
lp|local line printer:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

after lpd runs and I send something to the queue, lpq shows:

borrowedtime  6:39AM ~ % lpq
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    ghnelson   7    screen.txt                            80 bytes

Now for some reason, lpq reports that my printer is offline even thought
it is turned on and fine.  What I don't understand is that dmesg after a
reboot but before sending a doc to the printer reports lpt0 at isa0 port
 0x378/4 irq 7.  After I try to send a doc to the printer, dmesg now
will report that lpt0 is offline.

Am I missing something simple here?  Do I have to recompile the kernel
with different options for lpt0?  Or is my printcap lacking something?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

George