Re: Backups for laptops

On 2001-05-18 at 17:44 +0000, Christian Weisgerber gifted us with:
> Phil Pennock <Phil_(_dot_)_Pennock_(_at_)_globnix_(_dot_)_org> wrote:
> > What solutions do people use for backups for laptops running OpenBSD?
>
> Plug it into the LAN and backup more or less like the stationary
> hosts, i.e. eventually to tape.  (Okay, so I don't have a laptop,
> but that's what I would do if I did.)

I should've been clearer, sorry: "which don't involve backing up via
another box?".

Yes, I could use our distributed backup system at work -- I put it
together -- but it's a personal laptop and I don't want to set a
precedent of using the NOC backup system for personal computers.

My home computer has also just died, and doesn't have a CD burner
anyway, and backups of modern capacities onto 660MB is not nice, unless
you go for "this is OS, install this.  Then these packages which you had
before.  Then this script creates backups of /etc, /root & /home".  This
is one option -- do people use this?

What hardware options are people using for laptops/whatever which are
priced for personal use, work with OpenBSD, don't just fob the work off
to another system and work well enough to actually recommend?

Thanks,
--
Everything in life is either a lesson or a joke. Now, determine which is which.

Visit your host, monkey.org