Re: NIS and su

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 07:40:30PM -0700, crawler_(_at_)_engineering_(_dot_)_ucsb_(_dot_)_edu wrote:
> Hello,

Hi.

[snip]
> I have the following setting in the NIS client's /etc/master.passwd file
>
> +:*::::::::
>
> And I have the following setting in the NIS client's /etc/group file
>
> +:*::

Looks good.

> The problem that I'm having is that a user who's in the wheel group can't su to
> root from a NIS client--complains that the user is not in a right group.  That
> same user is already in the wheel group from the NIS server database /etc/group.
>
> But if I add that user to the wheel group in the NIS client's /etc/group, then
> that user is able to su.

What does /etc/yp/group say about the user?  Make sure the user is in
the wheel group there on the server, then go to /var/yp on the server
and run 'make'.  Once that finishes try on the client again.

--
Adam VanderHook
acidos_(_at_)_users_(_dot_)_sourceforge_(_dot_)_net

Visit your host, monkey.org