OpenBSD newbie + kernel issue

I was trying to do some optimizing of my kernel and I have ran into a
problem that I cant track down. Here is the error I get after running
make in ../compile/BEER/

subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames_size' referenced from text segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames' referenced from text segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames_size' referenced from text segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames' referenced from text segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames_size' referenced from text segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames' referenced from text segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames_size' referenced from text segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames' referenced from text segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames_size' referenced from text segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames_size' referenced from text segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames' referenced from text segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames_size' referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/BEER (line 511 of Makefile).

If more info is needed just say so.
If I am missing something obvious I accept chastising well.

P.S. I have been using Linux for a long time and this is my first
venture into a different *nix OS and I must say my Linux servers are
going to start changing after I am more comfortable with OpenBSD.

Visit your host, monkey.org