Re: Booting from serial

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Greg Thomas wrote:

> On Fri, 4 May 2001, Henning Brauer wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:38:49PM -0700, Greg Thomas wrote:
> > > Is the only reason my box didn't reboot because I had set it to com1
> > > instead of com0?  I noticed that Henning had mentioned on 4/27 that
> > > -current will reboot without the terminal attached.
> >
> > Yep, and it still does. May I assume that you had run older OpenBSD versions
> > on this machine before? If this is the case, did you install a new
> > bootloader (cd /usr/mdec and so on - it's somewhere in the FAQ)? If not, it
> > maybe the bios.
>
> I had a 4/21 snapshot installed, updated from CVS on 5/2 and
> re-compiled.  Didn't do anything about the bootloader.  I'll no more
> tonight when I get home.

Ok, it looked like "set tty com1" in /etc/boot.conf was the culprit.  Now
it boots with or without terminal attached.  However, Henning mentioned
that he has trouble entering stuff at the boot prompt.  On my setup so far
I never even see a boot prompt.

But at least I can see everything except for the BIOS messages now.

Greg