Re: netscape problems

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 02:24:02PM +0200, Morten Liebach wrote:
> On 29, Apr, 2001 at 12:20:28PM +1200, tim_(_dot_)_hume_(_at_)_paradise_(_dot_)_net_(_dot_)_nz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had this problem as well. I suspect it is something to do with
> > Netscape. Netscape leaks memory terribly ... I have watched it using
> > top, and sometimes it starts consuming 60-70Mb or memory before it
> > crashes.
>
> I have seen this too, but not in the standalone version of netscape.
>
> AFAIK it's present in the linux version too, and the workaround is to
> use some other mail reader than netscape, and use Navigator, not
> Communicator.
>
> HTH

from /usr/local/netscape/README

                          Configuration Notes

General Notes:

          Starting with 4.0, we strongly suggest setting the MOZILLA_HOME
          environment variable to point to the Navigator installation
          directory.  Many Netscape Client components now look at MOZILLA_HOME
          as a fallback or default mechanism in addition to the existing
          mechanisms from previous releases.

              csh, tcsh:
                  setenv MOZILLA_HOME /path/to/install-directory

              sh, bash, ksh:
                  MOZILLA_HOME=/path/to/install-directory
                  export MOZILLA_HOME

Mail:

          This section applies only to Netscape Communicator.

          Please see the Release Notes for important information on
          configuring and using Netscape Mail.  Also, particularly if you
          use procmail, see:

          http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/movemail.html

          for important system-dependent issues about file locking.  Knowing
          how to configure and use Netscape Mail will prevent you from losing
          mail messages.

You can also use netscape 4.77-linux2.2-libc6 with redhat_base in 2.9.
That way you can also use the linux flash and realplayer plugins.

<jakemsr_(_at_)_clipper_(_dot_)_net>