[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Boy am I impressed
- To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
- Subject: Re: Boy am I impressed
- From: naddy_(_at_)_mips_(_dot_)_inka_(_dot_)_de (Christian Weisgerber)
- Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:06:02 +0000 (UTC)
- Newsgroups: list.openbsd.misc
Marc Espie <Marc_(_dot_)_Espie_(_at_)_liafa_(_dot_)_jussieu_(_dot_)_fr> wrote:
> Bourne like shells:
* ksh93: David Korn's real code. Claimed to be very fast. Comes
with a build system from hell (which is why there isn't a port
yet). Incomprehensible license, probably bad.
> * bash: Bloated Almost SHell. Big, slow. Looks like a bourne-shell.
> Routinely causes linux-people to write stuff that won't work with anything
> else. Even causes linux-people to TEST for /bin/bash for a bourne-shell !!!
> I kid you need. See kdevelop's code. Bad license.
Linux people not understanding the difference between sh and bash
is hardly bash's fault. Martin Cracauer (FreeBSD's sh guru)
maintains that bash is the most POSIX-compliant shell out there,
and I won't contest this.
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy_(_at_)_mips_(_dot_)_inka_(_dot_)_de
Visit your host, monkey.org