Re: Boy am I impressed

Marc Espie <Marc_(_dot_)_Espie_(_at_)_liafa_(_dot_)_jussieu_(_dot_)_fr> wrote:

> Bourne like shells:

* ksh93: David Korn's real code.  Claimed to be very fast.  Comes
  with a build system from hell (which is why there isn't a port
  yet).  Incomprehensible license, probably bad.

> * bash:  Bloated Almost SHell. Big, slow. Looks like a bourne-shell.
> Routinely causes linux-people to write stuff that won't work with  anything
> else.  Even causes linux-people to TEST for /bin/bash for a bourne-shell !!!
> I kid you need. See kdevelop's code. Bad license.

Linux people not understanding the difference between sh and bash
is hardly bash's fault.  Martin Cracauer (FreeBSD's sh guru)
maintains that bash is the most POSIX-compliant shell out there,
and I won't contest this.