Sound bothers

Hi, I wonder if you can assist me. I have got a Compaq deskpro and a crystal
sound card. I've connected up my speakers and all the windows sounds are ok,
but if i play a cd from d: or e: drives i can only get the sound to come out
if i use the record function on soundforge to monitor the input. Just using
onboard microsoft cd player doesn't go through my speakers, unless i plug em
into the cd drives direct through theheadphone socket.
I'm completely baffled, any ideas...... Best Regards......
IIIStridesIII_(_at_)_aol_(_dot_)_com

Visit your host, monkey.org