Re: Linksys NC100 v2.1

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 05:07:45PM -0700, Crist Clark wrote:
> A cheapo 10/100 PCI NIC, a Linksys NC100 v2.1, has found its way into
> my possession. I don't see it on the supported NIC list, but the list
> in the supported hardware page is by no means exhaustive. The archives
> report someone having trouble with the card, but if it was working fine
> for a fellow, why would he write? Is there anyone out there using one
> or more of these with no major problems? Do they work at all?

I reported some problems with that card.  My system would occasionally
lock when transferring mp3s and other large files via scp/sftp on the
local network.  I switched that particular card with another (same
model), updated to -current, and haven't had the problem since.

> These things are really inexpensive. Less than $15 for a PCI Fast
> Ethernet NIC? Kinda makes me hesitate. So is it worth me bothering
> to crack the case on a box to try it out? Or the real issue, is it
> worth opening the NIC's packaging and making it a hassle to return
> it?

I imagine the low cost comes, at least partially, from lack of quality
control.

<jakemsr_(_at_)_clipper_(_dot_)_net>