Re: make release again

On 22, Apr, 2001 at 08:15:34AM +0800, Clarence Chan wrote:
> Hello ,
>
> I have one question about the man release.  There is a point in build a
> new system to remind the user to
>
> - update the /etc, /var and /dev/MAKEDEV by hand
>
> I would like to know how to update the /etc and the /var.  Is there any
> guideline to follow.  Thanks

Use 'diff -r -u /etc/* /home/newroot/etc/* | less' if you use the
directions on http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade-minifaq.html#1.5
which says:

	# mkdir /home/newroot
	# export DESTDIR=/home/newroot
	# cd /usr/src/etc && make distribution-etc-root-var

Edit manually and copy files if you don't have any modifications of your
own you want to keep.

The method is the same for /var, and I think its pretty often fine to
just copy /home/newroot/dev/MAKEDEV to /dev, unless you've made changes
to it ... then a quick 'cd /dev && sh MAKEDEV all', a last check through
/etc and a reboot, all should be fine.

This is how I do it, I've had no problems with that, yet! :-)

HTH
		Morten

--
lynx -source http://home1.stofanet.dk/liebach/pgpkey.html | gpg --import -