Re: permanently enabling soft updates in 2.9beta?

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 08:00:18PM -0700, rogue_(_at_)_ngxweb_(_dot_)_com wrote:
> mount -o softdep /dev/wd1d /tmp
>
> I didnt get an error, so the assumption here is that /tmp is mounted with
> soft updates enabled.

mount will tell you:

$ mount
/dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local, softdep)
/dev/wd0d on /tmp type ffs (local, softdep)
/dev/wd0e on /var type ffs (local, softdep)
/dev/wd0f on /home type ffs (local, softdep)
/dev/wd0g on /usr type ffs (local, softdep)

> My question is:
>
> How do I make it so each partition is mounted with softupdates
> automatically enabled at boot time?  That is, it seems that it needs to be
> mounted with the softdep option and I cant figure out how to do that
> without manually remounting each file system with the softdep option every
> time I reboot the system.  I am sure there is a better way.
>
> I looked over the fstab man page and I dont see where I would insert the
> softdep option.

you just missed it.  do it like this:

$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/wd0a / ffs rw,softdep 1 1