X11 install and setup

Hi Gurus,

After having read the online help, and the installed man
pages, and everything I can think of, I still can't get
X installed and running. I can credit that I'm just
stupid, but would someone have pity and tell me where
to look for a really-simple step-by-step walkthru of
how to install it?

I told the installer that a) I wanted to run X and b)
to install all the x packages. That's ok, but after
getting up and running in a console, I can't make the
progression to X.

I've tried versions cd 2.8 and -stable. The system is
virgin, and I can rebuild it from scratch if needed.

Thanks,
Rick VanNorman