Re: Trouble finding Kernel 2.8

On 13, Apr, 2001 at 06:36:26PM -0400, Derek wrote:

> Forgive me for such a basic question. I assure you that I have read all
> the approprate man pages along with all the books I could find at the
> bookstore, (only two), and after several days I still cannot find the
> "GENERIC" Kernel. I have 2.8 installed off of the CD. Yet when I try to
> cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC it dosen't exist. I've played
> with the name, I've even copied the src.tar.gz straight from the cd to a
> fresh dir.

Uhm, what do you mean by this?

Have you just copied src.tar.gz to /usr/src or what?

You need to 'cd /usr' and do a 'tar zxvf /path/to/src.tar.gz' from
there.

It will create the /usr/src dir if it's not already there, and will
include /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/GENERIC.

If you only want to recompile the kernel you can unpack sys.tar.gz from
the CD instead, it's the kernel source only.

>                              I humbly apoligize if this is not
> approprate for this list.

It's fine.

But I think you must have misread something along the way. :-)

HTH
	Morten

--
lynx -source http://home1.stofanet.dk/liebach/pgpkey.html | gpg --import -