Re: Beginner-level examples of using setrlimit?

Hola (Greetings), J.C. Roberts! A(t) 00:40 13/04/01, vau escriure (you wrote):
On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:29:34 +0100, you wrote:

>Greetings:
>
>Does anyone know of a step-by-step tutorial published anywhere that
>gives examples of using setrlimit to control maximum system resource

>consumption?

<snip>

It seems vmware is doing some interesting stuff on this level. I've
seen it reported (but I can't personally confirm it) that you can run
OBSD inside their vm. The enterprise class vmware solutions allow
resource management for multiple vm's. You could set each user up with
their own vm of OpenBSD and not need to worry (as much) about the what
their cgi's could do to the system. If they crash their own vm, it
shouldn't affect the whole system and the other vm's running on it.

It's just a thought... but seems like a reasonably simple way to
handle the resource management and security in one fell swoop.

What I'm ultimately trying to do is set up state-of-the-art web hosting, using only open source products: OpenBSD+djbdns+Apache+Perl+qmail+openssl etc. I just visited vmware's "Download VMware Products" page and the first thing I see is "New Users Please *buy* (bold, underlined) a valid license key..."

OK, everybody is free to do what he/she likes, but I'm hoping to find an Open Source solution.

Thank you, however, for responding. I fear my real problem is that I want to sys admin on Unix without having to learn C. *sigh* I guess there are some corners that just can't be cut.

--
All the best (Adéu-siau),
Lou Hevly