Re: Looking for a command-line mailer for a jail

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 11:51:32PM +0300, Heikki Korpela wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> > Howdy,
> > I'm trying to set up /usr/bin/mail (or an equivalent) inside a chrooted CVS
> > setup.  ldd /usr/bin/mail shows that I'll need libc in the jail, but I believe
> > that I'd also need sendmail (and it's associated libraries), which is getting
> > to be a bit much for simply sending CVS notificiations. Any suggestions for
> > alternative ways to do this?
> > -T
>
> You should use a (preferably small/simple) MUA that talks SMTP to
> localhost and let sendmail listen to the SMTP port. A quick search on
> the web found one (I haven't tested this, as I don't need mail from my
> cvs chroot).
>
> http://marvin.criadvantage.com/caspian/Software/SendEmail/default.php

Howdy,

Yup, that was exactly what I was looking for, with the exception that it's
written in perl, and thus I'd have to put perl in the chroot (which is
generally a bad idea, since if someone can make their own tools, what good is
restricting their access to binaries?). I'll play with this is the meantime,
but a similar program written in C would be ideal.

-T

--
When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good
bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself.