Forwarding FTP through an SSH tunnel.

Hi.

I'm trying to forward FTP from a certain port on my
external OpenBSD machine to port 21 on my internal
OpenBSD machine.  I have it to the point where I can
get to the internal machine and be authenticated;
however, I can't list the contents of any directories.

Someone told me that this is due to SSH using two
ports, and since I'm only forwarding one of them,
that's why it doesn't work.  Is this accurate?  If so,
which other port does SSH use besides the one I tell
it to listen on?

Thanks!