Re: consensus on softupdates

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 10:51:11AM -0400, Graham Van Epps wrote:
> I've got two production OpenBSD systems which are scheduled to be updated
> from 2.7-stable to 2.8-stable via a regular cdrom based upgrade.
> Both are 1U celeron/Intel 810 systems.

IIRC softdep code the same in 2.7 and 2.8.

> I'm considering enabling softupdates.  One system is using a 2940UW, which
> seems to have a pretty mature stable driver.  The other uses ATA66 off an
> Intel 810/celeron board.
>
> I question how many people are using softupdates on production systems.
> These two systems have never crashed or been a hassle, so i don't want it
> to start now.
>
> Since generally the only messages on the list archives seem to be a couple
> complaints about softupdates, i'd like to get a feel for who is using
> them, for what, and how its holding up.

I use softupdates on production system without problems, it is 2.7-stable.
But I have problems at home. Softupdates stability in 2.[78] is very
dependent on system configuration. There are no recomendations how to
avoid these problems.

> If the general opinion is to hold off, then maybe i wont use softupdates
> until 2.9 or 3.0.  But it would be nice to get that extra bit of i/o
> performance.

Try softupdates in 2.9.
Do not use soft updates on production system with 2.[78].

	Grigoriy.

Visit your host, monkey.org