Re: consensus on softupdates

Graham Van Epps <gvanepps_(_at_)_compurex_(_dot_)_com> wrote:

> I've got two production OpenBSD systems which are scheduled to be updated
> from 2.7-stable to 2.8-stable via a regular cdrom based upgrade.
>
> I'm considering enabling softupdates.

Don't.  Soft updates on 2.8 are not reliable.  Large meta data
operations will reproducibly crash the system.

> If the general opinion is to hold off, then maybe i wont use softupdates
> until 2.9 or 3.0.

Prospects for 2.9 are good.  The soft updates code has been crucially
improved in 2.8-current.  My customary torture tests don't provoke
a crash anymore.  Last time I tried, the box would still appear to
hang for a few minutes but eventually recovered.  More fixes have
gone into the tree since.