current kernel link problem; also Java

I've been following all the steps on the 2.7->2.8 upgrade FAQ, although
admittedly my starting point (2.7 from CD, then half-assed upgrade attempts)
is murky.  I got latest source, cleaned /usr/obj, upgraded the linker, built
the compiler twice (the BOOTSTRAP way), built the kernel...

and get:

rm -f bsd
ld -z -Ttext E0100000 -e start -x -o bsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ} vers.o
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames_size' referenced from text
segment
subr_userconf.o: Undefined symbol `_pdevnames' referenced from text segment
[...]
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC (line 589 of Makefile).

Any idea what's wrong, or how to fix this?  Or should I install from CD, then
upgrade cleanly?

And should I even be bothering?  I need Java 1.2 for a subcontract job, and I
was motivated to upgrade my system by the desire to get the blackdown port
working.  But if the probability of reward is low I could jump to my FreeBSD
or Debian CDs.

-xx- Damien X-)