Re: 2.8 install hangs - i386

> From owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org  Thu Mar  8 13:25:19 2001
> From: "Irwin R. Naumann" <irwin_(_at_)_thinkage_(_dot_)_ca>
> Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:24:34 -0500 (EST)
> To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
> Subject: 2.8 install hangs - i386
> Sender: owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
>
> I attempted to install 2.8 on a machine with the following hardware:
>
> Intel VS440FX motherboard
> Primary IDE master WDC AC28400R disk (8063 MB)
> Secondary IDE master WDC AC38400L disk (8063 MB)
> Secondary IDE slave Toshiba CD-ROM XM-5702B
> Intel Pro 100 PCI ethernet card
> 128MB RAM
> ATI Rage Pro graphics card
>
> The boot sequence identifies both hard drives as 8063 MB capacity.
> The boot then stops with "wd0: no disk label" and hangs in excess of 30 minutes.
> The disk light is constantly on during the hang. I have to hit the reset or
> power button to have the box restart.
>
> How can I get a copy of dmesg's output in this situation?
>
> If it's of any importance, this machine used to run Windows 2000.
>
> I've installed 2.8 successfully on a PII-550 with an IDE 8063MB disk
> and an IDE CD-ROM. The installation was smooth.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
>     Irwin

I know it's bad netiquette to reply to one's posting.

The ATI graphics card is really a Matrox MGA Millenium.
The CPU is a Pentium Pro 200.

Here's what I've done since my initial posting.
1) Installed Windows NT 4.0 on 2 GB partition of primary master. NT recognized
both disks and CD-ROM. This exercise was to determine if the hardware is working
- appears to be.

2) swapped secondary master and secondary slave -> primary master,primary slave
swapped primary master -> secondary master. Result - boot progressed to
"rd0: fixed, 3560 blocks" and hung.

3) swapped secondary master and secondary slave -> primary master,primary slave
removed original primary master. Result as in 1).

4) removed all IDE devices. installed Adaptec 2940 SCSI card & SCSI disk.
Got to "(I)nstall, (U)pgrade or (S)hell ?" prompt.

I'd really like to boot with the IDE devices. I've read and reread the
FAQ's section "14.7 - How do I get a dmesg from a boot floppy?" in order to post
this system's hardware. The boot process just hangs before any root prompt.

I noticed three anomalies during my experiments.
1) floppy anomaly
"disk: fd0 fd1 hd0* hd1*" displayed when I attempted to boot with the IDE
devices. I take it "fd" is floppy drive? My machine only has one floppy drive.

"disk: fd0 hd0*" displayed when I attempted to boot with the SCSI drive.

2) speed
Device probing after "boot >" was quicker with IDE devices.

Device probing after "boot >" was slower with SCSI device.

3) OpenBSD reports IDE drives as LBA 16383 cyl,16 head,63 sec

   BIOS reports IDE drives as        16320 cyl,16 head,63 sec

I tried BIOS disk settings for Logical Block, Standard CHS, AUTO, Extended CHS.
NO difference.

Am I missing something fundamental?

    Irwin