Re: NEWBIE QUESTION

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 07:35:49PM -0600, Michael Jinks wrote:
> oh yeah: and in three jobs so far as a *nix sysadmin, i have yet to see
> a QNX box running anywhere.

QNX is definately not a UNIX, or even close.

QNX is an ENTIRELY DIFERENT animal.

It may seem like unix on the surface, they do have gnu tools,
and X does run on it, but it is no more of a UNIX than Plan 9 or
VxWorks.

QNX was designed to be real-time (whatever that means),
it has completely different methods of IPC (some posix ones are available
via daemons (message queues for instance)). Semaphores and Shared Memory are implemented
quite differently (from svr4). And at the heart of it all, which is QNX's
secret weapon, is the QNX Message, and the QNX Proxy. Very useful, easy to
program, and definately something WORTH LEARNING. It really is a beautiful
way of coding.

The QNX Message is how everything works, even the microkernel uses them for
everything. Hardware interupts are also made using proxies (mini QNX Messages
that don't reply). The great part about the message is it can go over
networks to create some sort of distributed IPC.

I would definitely suggest learning QNX over linux, which is just another
unix-type OS.

Now I'm not saying I would run my web/ftp/email over it,
that's OpenBSD's job.

Cheers!

--
Lucas Cornelisse
lucas_(_at_)_trunks_(_dot_)_dhs_(_dot_)_org

Visit your host, monkey.org