syslog sysHOG

running on -current Dec 2 checkout with all the latest kernel patches. I
noticed a few days ago all a sudden, syslog starts to hog the entire
machine. Here is a ps aux of the box.

USER  PID   %CPU %MEM   VSZ   RSS TT  STAT STARTED TIME COMMAND
root  15871 94.3  0.2   108   180 ??  Rs   1:39PM  273:50.27 syslogd
-a /var/named/dev/log

killiing and restarting the daemon, rebooting with box had no result. It
is using the syslogd compiled from 12/2/00's source. with the standard
config file with the addition of

*.emerg;*.alert;*.crit;*.err;*.warning;*.info 	@loghost

to also log to a central server. I noticed there is a post in the list
archive of someone having similar problems but heard it was cured by
commentting out the logging to /dev/console(this didn't work for me).

This is a sparc4, with 88megs ram. running bind8, postfix, and ipf/nat.

Anyone care to take a stab at this? What are some of the things that I
should try?

Thank you and Merry Christmas!!

Jake

Visit your host, monkey.org