Re: ports vs. packages?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 05:21:05PM +0000, Ray Lai wrote:
> Is there any difference besides the installation between ports and packages?  I have always thought that ports are better than packages because ports are compiled on  your system, and therefore they are a tad more optimized for your system.  But I have no proof of that.  Also, are there any command line options that can be put into make to optimize the ports for certain processors, i.e. mine? =)  Thanks a lot.
Nonsense, ports should produce the same thing regardless of the machine
involved. If they don't the port has a problem.

Now, you can probably squeeze out an extra 2% of performance by tweaking
options. In my opinion, it's not worth it, especially as you run a larger
chance of running into bugs from seldom used compiler options.