Re: ftp go away message?

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Seth Arnold wrote:

> So, now, people around the internet have decided to use my ftp server.
> Several a day. I don't want to get busted by my ISP (hehe), so I figure
> it is time to make it useable only by my campus network, and my
> brother's network.

Anon-writeable ftp servers invite abuse. That aside...

> Now, to the question -- when a user connects to the ftp port, can I
> decide to start either the ftpd XOR send them a message of the form,
> ``This FTP is for authorized use only, it was abused by people like you,
> now go away.'', based entirely on their IP address?
>
> Or, am I just going to have to give in, and put user accounts for
> authorized users on the firewall?

Use IPF to allow ftp access from the networks you specify, and block
access from all others. The message would only be ignored by the
people who were abusing it.
| Dave Taira <bodhi_(_at_)_hagakure_(_dot_)_org>                2000.12.13/22:59:46 PST |
| Morlock for Hire                                                       |
| Hit any user to continue                                      --Andr00 |