Re: Cluterit on OBSD

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 06:02:09PM -0800, Greg Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Horacio wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Robert Shea wrote:
> >

> > > Well, I personally switched from Linux to OpenBSD with the idea that
> > > it was established enough that I would not need to always have the
> > > bleeding edge version to keep things reasonable secure and
> > > functional. :)
> >
> > Uh?  2.8 is a stable release, not bleeding edge.
> >

> The point being that if you have everything you need in an OS and you can
> keep up with security patches, why the need to upgrade?

	The way I understand it for the most part the older versions are
	dropped as far as patches go.  In other words if you don't
	upgrade you don't get patched.  The reason being is the
	development team has limited resources such that there isn't
	time to release a new security patch for each prior release.
	I'm newbie here but it takes me about 30 minutes to an hour to
	install and set up a firewall for home use.  It took me half a
	day to apply security patches to the redhat box at work the
	other day.  I'm jumping into the middle of this so sorry if my
	comments aren't true to the string.  If I'm off about anything
	I'm sure someone will correct me:)
	kent

--
  "In order to make an apple pie from scratch,
      you must first create the universe."