Re: firewalls

Thanks to all of you  who replied, online and offline.  I'm sorry I didn't reply to
you all earlier, but I was away.
    It would appear that there have been no real, documented comparisons between
commercial firewalls and an ipf/OpenBSD firewall. I'm not terribly surprised as
usually only commercial firewall companies are willing to pay for these studies and
they'd be very upset to be upstaged by a free firewall solution.
    We actually have several of the Nokia FreeBSD/celeron machines, but they are
being used by a different part of the company. I believe I will be able to convince
management to go with an ipf based firewall, anyway. The cost of the nokia boxes is
rather high (It could easily go over $25K for a single box + controlling software +
support). So, a $2,500 (A decent, rackmount PC)  price tag is a lot easier to sell
than a $25K price tag. :-)

Nicholas