Re: Severe user maintenance

To determine when a user can be expired, you want to look at the lastlog
(/var/log/lastlog), which looks like a series of utmp entries, indexed by
uid.  Using that it's pretty easy to write code to do what you want.

Man lastlog for more information on the file.

--STeve Andre'

At 12:25 PM 12/11/00 -0800, Seth Arnold wrote:
* John Smith <pagemaster41_(_at_)_hotmail_(_dot_)_com> [001211 12:15]:
> I run a shell server and have many new users constantly. I would like to be
> able to have them automatically added to /etc/ftpchroot. Any good with
> shell scripts? All it would have to do is 'ls /home' and add them to
> /etc/ftpchroot one per line.

The program you write (or steal) for the newusers login should include
this functionality as well. Or, heck, you could have a crontab(5) entry
do the work for you, every ten minutes or every day, or something like
that.

> I also would like to set something up so that accounts that are inactive for
> more than 3 months are deleted(by inactive I mean no logins) could I
> accomplish this with a script or does OpenBSD come with something that could
> so this.

Hmm. I don't know the answer to this obviously; wtmp would probably come
in handy here.

> While I am asking I know absolutely nothing about macs but just got a
> PowerPC 7100/80av  will openbsd run on this?

http://www.openbsd.org/plat.html

-- ``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all really impressed down here, I can tell you.''