Re: Trojan Keyboard Driver (was Re: Viewing Current Password)

Well...There are somethings that can be done. You could run some kind of app that
monitors keyboard connectivity, and if it fails, scramble the storage, or page
you, or any number of things. Even if a keyboard is 'dumb', that does not mean the
system has to be.

Run daemons that monitor your peripherals, that detect and respond to changes in
connectivity. The feds could have just as easily have tapped the system I/O, or
the drive cables, or the video cables, etc.. Ever heard of Tempest? They don't
even really need to hook anything to your computer to monitor it.

Physical security wins the day when you're trying to protect high security data.
Any schmuck can run strong crypto, and have a relatively secure net presence,
which means exactly d*ck when hackers and feds can break into your location and
gain access directly.

I've worked at places where servers were locked behind medco armoured doors, wired
into the alarm systems, that reacted to physical security access controls and
notified people religiously of changes in their environment and tampering (my boss
was a little paranoid).  Access was limited to a select few terminals and only at
certain times with smart cards and other means of authentication. Still there were
ways around it.

There is no such thing as a totally secure system, at all. The most safe data
storage is in your head, everything else is vulnerable according to it's value.
But, if you keep it in your head, how safe are you?

Rob

--
Rob Hines Jr.
System Administrator