Upgrading _only_ the compiler (2.7->2.8)?

Hi All,

I'm trying to plan the upgrade from 2.7 -> 2.8, however we are severely overworked at the moment. I'd like to know if it will be possible to upgrade _just_ the compiler, until such time that I can get around to upgrading the entire system? Since this seems to be a stumbling block, I'd like to get it out of the way first, and then know that I can upgrade the rest of the system if/when I can.

And just to make it clear, I would do this by grabbing the gcc source (only) from CVS (what are the instructions for doing this? I.e. how do I get just gcc and the right version?). After this I follow the directions in the mini-upgrade FAQ and compile _twice_.

Is there anything else to worry about?

Regards,
	- Steve