Re: vi and crypto

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 12:03:44AM -0800, Seth Arnold wrote:
> My Debian's vim supports the -x flag for encrypting/decrypting files.

Hmm mine too, never noticed that.  Unfortunately it's weak encryption,
(apparently the same algorithm used by Pkzip) and pretty much useless.
:-\

> It looks like the newer nvi vi we use doesn't support -x encryption any
> more. :-/

Too bad.  :-\  Fwiw, checked in the man page for our `ed' and I guess it
still supports this, and with reasonably strong crypto:

    x  Prompts for an encryption key which is used in subsequent reads and
       writes.  If a newline alone is entered as the key, then encryption
       is turned off.  Otherwise, echoing is disabled while a key is read.
       Encryption/decryption is done using the bdes(1) algorithm.

I don't think I'll be making a habit out of using line editors anytime
soon though.  ;P