snapshot vs. release

Prior to release of 2.8, I installed the Nov. 6 snapshot.  Then I
planned on upgrading to the release, which I've downloaded (CDs on the
way ;) ).  But, afaict (file sizes appear the same, and diff exits 0),
the release tarballs are the same as the Nov. 6 snapshot.

Is this the case, or did I download them from an outdated mirror?  (The
file dates were Dec. 5 iirc, but you never know.)

I would love to not have to actually run an upgrade.  ;)

P.S.: where can I get md5sums for src.tar.gz and srcsys.tar.gz?  Didn't
see them on the ftp site, and they're not in the top-level MD5 file.

Visit your host, monkey.org