Re: Problems running NetBSD or OpenBSD on newer IBM laptops?

* Marc Espie <espie_(_at_)_schutzenberger_(_dot_)_liafa_(_dot_)_jussieu_(_dot_)_fr> [001129 18:35] wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 09:05:55AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > >
> > > We have a couple of T20s' running FreeBSD, so this particular behavior
> > > seems to be related to changes for the *21 models.  The T20 guys are
> > > never going to "upgrade" their BIOS after this mess.
> >
> > If this analysis is correct, there should be no problems running
> > NetBSD or OpenBSD on these machines, since they use different
> > partition numbers.  Can anybody confirm or deny?
>
> Open uses A6.
> Nevertheless, the IBM people are a bunch of opportunistic morons.
> Where `free software', as a wave to surf, rhymes with `linux' and nothing
> else.
>
> Could make an interesting slashdot story, probably needs to be submitted
> several times until they get a clue...

IBM's support of Linux on its desktops leaves much to be desired. There
is an issue with the BIOS with the 390X I'm using; with newer BIOS
revisions, the CPU fan doesn't start properly, the CPU heats past a
certain threshold and it underclocks itself (i.e., it runs dramatically
slower). IBM's response amounted to about the same. Linux isn't even one
of the supported OS's for Thinkpads, I believe.
--Michael

Visit your host, monkey.org