SSH Questions

Greetings, and thanks for taking the time to listen to my questions.

(1) If you start an SSH session, is the entire session encrypted or just
the authentication?  That is, once I've logged in, would I be safe in
"su-ing" to root or SSH-ing to another machine?  My intuition says this
is so, but I felt I should ask just in case.

(2) If the above is true, does the same hold for an X app remotely
displayed?  Can I ssh to some system, start a remote X app, and be safe
from prying eyes?

Thanks for your time,
Ian Alexander
ian_(_dot_)_alexander_(_at_)_sabre_(_dot_)_com

Visit your host, monkey.org