Re: Couldn't not figure out printer

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Seth Arnold wrote:

> * John Smith <pagemaster41_(_at_)_hotmail_(_dot_)_com> [001114 22:07]:
> > and some of the references from those yet I still can't figure out
> > how to set up my HP 970Cse?  Does anyone know how?
>
> I am sorry to say that getting printing to work to a non-postscript
> printer has always been difficult. Try looking at:
> http://ftp.yggdrasil.com/bible/howtos/printing.html
> Sure, it is about a linux distribution I figured hadn't been released
> in years, but the description of the printcap file seems pretty good.

Not that hard, have a look at http://www.apsfilter.org/
... and it's developed on (Free)BSD.

You'll also need to install ghostscript (version depends on apsfilter
version), and figure out the filter which comes closest to yours
(pretty easy through apsfilter's trial and error).

> When I went looking for a printer, I ensured it had postscript
> support, easy networking (so I could easily hook it up through
> printcap, CUPS, samba, etc) on top of good output. It took a long
> time to find one that met all these criteria. And I had my printer
> working in ten minutes. :) God, I love Xerox.

Yes, great, but at a high cost.  Not everyone can afford a postscript
printer.  Mine is a non postscript deskjet Xerox and works beautifully
with apsfilter and the cdjcolor filter.

Visit your host, monkey.org