Re: Remote login questions with regards to X

George Nelson wrote:

> I'm able to use Exceed to get into my machine.  However, when I run any X
> application, I get an error message about authentication.  Is there another
> setting I need to change in order to run X applications remotely?

It sounds like you have Exceed set to authenticate.  You have some choices.

one:
In Exceed->xconfig choose "Security," select the "Disabled" radio button
in the "Host Access Control List" section.  This makes your Exceed X server
available to any client.  Not secure by any measure, but if you are in a
secure environment, this gets you going.

two:
In the same program as above, select the "File" radio button in the "Host
Access Control List" section.  Edit the file and add the names or IP addresses
of any hosts on which you will run clients.  The names are listed one per
line (read the Exceed help for more detail).

three:
In the same program as above, select the "Enabled" radio button in the
"Host Access Control List" section and select the "Enable User Access
Control List" check box.  Then select a suitable file.  I use the .Xauthority
file in my home directory on the obsd machine (access via SaMBa).  As far
as I know, the easiest way to create a valid .Xauthority file is to run
the X server and xdm on the obsd machine.  Once you have xdm running on
the obsd machine, log in and xdm will create a valid .Xauthority file in
your home directory.  If you are interested in using the .Xauthority file,
I suggest reading the X man page and the xauth man page and anything
else you can get your hands on.

four:
Figure out what X Web does or how to use the extensions.

I used method one for quite some time.  Now I use method three with no
trouble.  Send me an e-mail if you need more explicit help.

Dean

Visit your host, monkey.org