Re: filesystem encryption?

From: Jim Breton <jamesb-openbsd_(_at_)_alongtheway_(_dot_)_com>
Subject: filesystem encryption?
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 05:47:59 +0000

> Just curious as to the possibility of OpenBSD including a means of
> encrypting entire filesystems at some point.  Is it known whether this
> capability will be added anytime soon?

i'd like to know as well -- i've looked into using vnconfig, but as
far as i can tell that works only w/ files, and not whole filesystems.
it'd be nice to have something that's not a port.

> As far as I know it's not currently supported (but would love to be
> corrected if wrong).  :)

me too ;-)

> The swap encryption in 2.8 will be a nice addition though.

i'm running an installation of 2.7 (admittedly updated via cvs) which
has swap encryption...was it not in the original 2.7 release?  all it
takes is editing /etc/sysctl.conf and rebooting, right?  [i suppose if
you use sysctl directl, you may not even have to reboot...]