Re: Maximum Load for an OpenBSD firewall

The mobos were from Dell Dimension Lc boxen, BTW.

All mobos were unable to reliably use certain specific segments of memory,
even between different DIMMs that were known good.  Some had transient
memory problems.

I found myself a mobo with a few memory problems and tried to use Linux
with the badram patch.  Heavy network traffic would cause the interface, a
3c509C, to lockup with FIFO errors on the console.  Heavy disk activity
would send DMA warnings (2.2.17 w/ 2.4 IDE backport) to the console and
eventually the machine would crash after a few hours.  Sometimes the
machine would send strange messages about repeated interrupts to the
console, pause for a few moments, and then go bonkers.

Dell eventually told me to go away because they define "good hardware" as
those things capable of booting Windows 98.  Very disappointing.  Might be
Dell.  Might be i810.  Probably both.

[]

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Michael Shalayeff wrote:

> Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Darik Horn:
> >
> > At my place of employment we have several Dell machines with i810 mobos.
> > These machines are write-offs for running anything except Win/dos because
> > they are unstable under load.
> >
> > We confirmed that the mobos were the problem by swapping system
> > components.  The Dell replacement parts -- which we figured came from a
> > different manufacturing lot -- had similar problems.
> >
> > Half of them won't boot NT4 or W2k either, which makes them doubly
> > useless.  I wouldn't put an i810 into a production server.
>
> dunno, i have a 370sea from supermicro and it works ok,
> under many loads (;
>
> could be just crappy dell motherboard, or memory.
>
> cu

> > > I think this might be the problem for the freezes -- there has been some
> > > discussion, I think, about the i810, and it's generally not a good chipset
> > > IIRC.
> > >
> > > --
> > >  Matthew Weigel
> > >  Research Systems Programmer
> > >  mcweigel+_(_at_)_cs_(_dot_)_cmu_(_dot_)_edu
> > >

> --
>     paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)

Visit your host, monkey.org